Ideally, dentistry is preventative. The Australian Dental Association (ADA) recommends that you visit your dentist regularly at least once every six months to ensure proper oral hygiene and functionality. Regular checkups and oral health maintenance prevent the development of serious dental problems that can require costly treatment.
Our dentists will work with you to develop a customised dental hygiene plan that incorporates an examination, scaling and radiographs and use of other diagnostic equipment to prevent, uncover or treat problems as early as possible
A routine checkup includes the following:
- Examine your teeth and gums for signs of tooth decay, gingivitis, and other health problems
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay between teeth and under fillings where dentist can't see , tumours, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions
- Oral cancer screening: Check lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of gingivitis or periodontal disease.
- Examination of restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
We’re excited to bring the latest dental hygiene technology to Dental Care On Pulteney. Find out how Swiss-Made EMS AIRFLOW® and a Guided Biofilm Therapy treatment can benefit your smile!
Our recently installed EMS AIRFLOW® Prophylaxis Master means that you can now experience stain-free, clean teeth without the pain! No more mess, no more nails scraping like noise on the blackboard and no more cold water. It’s time to give your teeth the best clean they’ve ever had!
What is EMS AIRFLOW®?
AIRFLOW® is a revolutionary, non-contact form of dental maintenance and prevention. It projects a controlled stream of air, warm water and very fine sweet powder onto the tooth and in hard-to-reach areas to dislodge and remove food particles, plaque, discolouration and stains.
The high pressure water/air stream cleans your teeth much faster, efficiently and comfortably than the use of traditional pastes. Traditional methods are often messy, time consuming and can leave you with a not so clean taste in your mouth.
AIRFLOW® is akin to being at a day spa but instead of beauticians working on your face, your dentist is gently exfoliating your teeth. Since the water in the AIRFLOW® Prophylaxis Master heats to 40 degrees, it’s a positively warm experience!
How does EMS AIRFLOW® and a Guided Biofilm Therapy treatment work?
It is estimated that 1mm of dental plaque contains more than 200 million bacteria. If left untreated, the bacteria can spread and develop biofilm. Biofilm is a colony of bacteria that can cause gum disease and compromise your body’s immune defences.
When using the AIRFLOW® Prophylaxis Master device, firstly your dentist will place a coloured dye onto your teeth to reveal any plaque and biofilm present in your mouth. This is a great motivational tool to show you the areas in your mouth that you need to spend a little more time cleaning at home.
Your dentist will then efficiently remove the plaque build-up with AIRFLOW®. This is a big step in preventing and treating gingivitis (gum disease) and periodontitis.
As well as removing stains, AIRFLOW® can be used for many different treatment types including: cleaning orthodontic brackets and implants to minimise per-implantitis and to reduce the loss of implants.
If you have hard calculus, your dentist may also need to use an ultrasonic on your teeth. However, the use of AIRFLOW® prior minimises the amount of time in which an ultrasonic is needed.
Watch the video to see what AIRFLOW® and Guided Biofilm Therapy can do for your teeth!
There are 2 types of whitening systems we use to help you get the whiter smile you want.
1. In Chair Whitening System
In chair whitening process done in the dental chair as an initial boost and continued at home with a short duration take home kit. Special protective barriers are placed around your teeth to protect the gums and soft tissues by the dentist. An, ultraviolet energy activates whitening gel to catalyze a photo reaction of peroxide and dissolved irons.
2. Take Home Tooth Whitening Kit
You can skip the In-Chair process all together and just get the kit to use at home. These kits by themselves are cheaper but may take 2-4 weeks of wearing to achieve your desired result.
Impressions (molds) will be made of your teeth to fabricate custom, clear plastic, trays to hold the whitening gel and protect your gums. The trays are worn with special whitening solution for 30 minutes a day for a couple of weeks depending on the degree of staining and desired level of whitening you desire.
Speak to one of our dentist to find out which is best for you!
White Fillings (Composite resin filling)
Even our most diligent and regular patients sometimes need restorative dentistry. Why? Life can be hard on teeth. Everything from the food we eat, stress and acid reflux, to accidents and heredity can have profound effects on your smile.
It’s great news that the incidence of tooth decay has significantly diminished over the years due to the use of fluorides and an increase in patient awareness. However, teeth are still susceptible to decay, infection, and breakage and sometimes need to be restored back to health. Through improved techniques and modern technology, we are now able to offer more options for restoring a tooth back to its normal shape, appearance and function.
Should your teeth ever require a restorative treatment, you can rest assured knowing we will always discuss with you the available options and recommend what we believe to be the most comfortable and least invasive treatment options.
Porcelain Fillings (restorations)
Porcelain restorations are a great ‘half way’ treatment option to restore large portions of back teeth. Our back teeth undergo the most load and forces during normal everyday use. In some cases where there is parafunction (ie. grinding) the forces are even greater!
Sometimes we are able to restore a tooth’s aesthetics and strength without having the need to crown them while still achieving outstanding results. This allows us to be more conservative in our tooth preparation while still achieving the strength necessary for the tooth’s long term health.
These restorations provide greater strength than your normal fillings. This is an important factor in particular for back teeth, teeth in a heavy biting habits, or if you have a history of breaking teeth and/or fillings often.
One Visit Crowns (CEREC Crowns)
Why its better than traditional crowns (PFM) :
- Same Hardness as Tooth – CEREC crowns wear the same as your natural teeth structure and will not abrade the opposing teeth. - Same Coefficient of Thermal Expansion -- CEREC restorations expand and contract the same amount as the tooth structure to which it is bonded and does not fracture the tooth structure that holds it, as many amalgam fillings do.
- Same Translucency as Teeth -- CEREC blends in and transmits light to the adjacent tooth structure and reflects the remaining tooth color through itself – “chameleon effect”.
- Made in One Visit – No second visit -- No lost time or hassle getting to and from the office just to insert the completed crown or redo a lab error.
- No Temporary crowns to come off or feel unnatural in your mouth, while you wait 2 weeks for the lab work to be done.
- No more biting for 6 minutes on that unpleasant tasting impression material.
Veneers are where we cover only the front surface of a tooth to cover teeth that are discoloured, worn, chipped or cracked.
Veneers can be either made from porcelains or placed directly with composite resin.
Root Canal Treatment
Dental implants are designed to provide a foundation for replacing teeth that look, feel and function like
your normal teeth.
Dental implants are artificial roots and teeth (usually titanium) that are surgically placed into the upper or lower jaw. The teeth attached to implants are very natural looking and often enhance or restore a patient’s smile!
Reasons for dental implants:
- Replace one or more missing teeth without affecting adjacent teeth
- Resolve bite problems caused by teeth shifting into missing tooth space
- Restore a patient’s confident smile.
- Restore chewing, speech, and digestion.
- Restore or enhance facial tissues.
- Support a bridge or denture, making them more secure and comfortable.
In the past decade there has been a dramatic interest in cosmetic dentistry. We all realize that having a healthy, bright, beautiful smile enhances our appearance and allows us to smile with confidence.
Cosmetic dental treatments can:
- Change the size, shape, and alignment of certain teeth.
- Fill in unattractive spaces between teeth.
- Improve or correct bites.
- Lighten or brighten the colour of teeth.
- Repair decayed, broken, cracked, or chipped teeth.
- Replace missing teeth.
- Replace old, unattractive dental treatments
Children's Dental Care
It isn’t just the parents that love us – children do too!
Our atmosphere is relaxed, welcoming and fun; and our staffs are gentle. We work hard to put both you and your children at ease.
We always recommend that children dental care start early, while mouths are still in their ideal state. Kids can begin their dental care as early as two years of age. We offer the latest advancements, strength building fluoride treatments and protective sealants so your children can smile healthy, strong smiles for the rest of their lives.
Our Children Dental Care Includes:
- Sealants to protect teeth from decay and help prevent cavities.
- Fluoride treatments to make teeth more resistant to dangerous bacteria.
- Professional cleanings and hygiene to help gums and teeth stay sparkling and healthy.
- Sports mouth guards to protect primary and adult teeth from injury.